* New! Latest stable version of OK wallet v7-SpaceMonkey *

[Solved] Raspberry Pi raid array with USB HDDs

Started by jamesdelelio, November 27, 2016, 03:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesdelelio

Hi,
My 128GB usb drive was nearly to it's maximum capacity when the full blockchain was loaded.
So I bought another identical sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 Ultra Fit Flash Drive and performed the following:
1- made a copy of all the files of the old 128GB usb drive to my PC using FileZilla (saves me to download chain again).
2. Re-installed fresh version of Rokos v7 Core.
3. made a Raid 0 of the two drives using http://projpi.com/diy-home-projects-with-a-raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-raid-array-with-usb-hdds/
4.mounted the 248GB Raid drive
5. started Bitcoin Core Client.
I can see in Task manager that it starts but then stops again.

Owner of the 248GB drive is Root.

What is going wrong here? Any ideas?

jamesdelelio

Solved:
problem is two fold.
1st you can not start/initiate the Bitcoin wallet for the first time from a remote computer; keyboard and monitor must be connected to the Pi directly.

2nd. permission must be set for media/pi/mounted volume fot the user to acces. I used sudo chmod -R -v 777 * and that worked (not sure if it is the best security setting...)

So now I have 248Gb Volume created from 2 tiny 128Gb Sandisk Ultra Fit usb 3.0 flash drives, nice, neat and small package  8)
Tip:  Format USB sticks to Flash Friendly File System (f2fs) instead of the Linux ext4 file system to avoid errors

rmd73

Quote from: jamesdelelio on November 27, 2016, 09:12:24 AM
Solved:
problem is two fold.
1st you can not start/initiate the Bitcoin wallet for the first time from a remote computer; keyboard and monitor must be connected to the Pi directly.

2nd. permission must be set for media/pi/mounted volume fot the user to acces. I used sudo chmod -R -v 777 * and that worked (not sure if it is the best security setting...)

So now I have 248Gb Volume created from 2 tiny 128Gb Sandisk Ultra Fit usb 3.0 flash drives, nice, neat and small package  8)
Tip:  Format USB sticks to Flash Friendly File System (f2fs) instead of the Linux ext4 file system to avoid errors
Re: 1st. I think bitcoind can be started for the first time from a remote computer (via ssh) and I can't see why it wouldn't run if started for the first time using a VNC connection... but I never tried any of those scenarios.
Re: 2nd. I would have used chown -R pi /media/pi/mounted_volume

I wouldn't use software defined RAID on any "production" machine (unless forced), especially RAID 0... the risk of data loss is staggering.
Disregarding my an**l-retentive comment above, congrats :D