[Solved] Raspberry Pi raid array with USB HDDs

Started by jamesdelelio, November 27, 2016, 03:37:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesdelelio

November 27, 2016, 03:37:16 am Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:03:56 pm by okheymos
Hi,
My 128GB usb drive was nearly to it's maximum capacity when the full blockchain was loaded.
So I bought another identical sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 Ultra Fit Flash Drive and performed the following:
1- made a copy of all the files of the old 128GB usb drive to my PC using FileZilla (saves me to download chain again).
2. Re-installed fresh version of Rokos v7 Core.
3. made a Raid 0 of the two drives using http://projpi.com/diy-home-projects-with-a-raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-raid-array-with-usb-hdds/
4.mounted the 248GB Raid drive
5. started Bitcoin Core Client.
I can see in Task manager that it starts but then stops again.

Owner of the 248GB drive is Root.

What is going wrong here? Any ideas?

jamesdelelio

November 27, 2016, 09:12:24 am #1 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:45:15 pm by jamesdelelio
Solved:
problem is two fold.
1st you can not start/initiate the Bitcoin wallet for the first time from a remote computer; keyboard and monitor must be connected to the Pi directly.

2nd. permission must be set for media/pi/mounted volume fot the user to acces. I used sudo chmod -R -v 777 * and that worked (not sure if it is the best security setting...)

So now I have 248Gb Volume created from 2 tiny 128Gb Sandisk Ultra Fit usb 3.0 flash drives, nice, neat and small package  8)
Tip:  Format USB sticks to Flash Friendly File System (f2fs) instead of the Linux ext4 file system to avoid errors

rmd73

Quote from: jamesdelelio on November 27, 2016, 09:12:24 am
Solved:
problem is two fold.
1st you can not start/initiate the Bitcoin wallet for the first time from a remote computer; keyboard and monitor must be connected to the Pi directly.

2nd. permission must be set for media/pi/mounted volume fot the user to acces. I used sudo chmod -R -v 777 * and that worked (not sure if it is the best security setting...)

So now I have 248Gb Volume created from 2 tiny 128Gb Sandisk Ultra Fit usb 3.0 flash drives, nice, neat and small package  8)
Tip:  Format USB sticks to Flash Friendly File System (f2fs) instead of the Linux ext4 file system to avoid errors

Re: 1st. I think bitcoind can be started for the first time from a remote computer (via ssh) and I can't see why it wouldn't run if started for the first time using a VNC connection... but I never tried any of those scenarios.
Re: 2nd. I would have used chown -R pi /media/pi/mounted_volume

I wouldn't use software defined RAID on any "production" machine (unless forced), especially RAID 0... the risk of data loss is staggering.
Disregarding my an**l-retentive comment above, congrats :D